How To Get a Copy of Your NJ Accident Report

May 22, 2020 | Chris Costello, Esq.

When you’ve been involved in an accident in New Jersey, one of the most important pieces of evidence for your case is the NJ accident report. Sometimes it is difficult for the investigating officers to officially determine who the at-fault driver was. Even so, the details they include and their professional opinions listed in the report help insurance companies arrive at a decision when trying to determine fault. Should the case also go to court, the court uses the information presented in the crash report to make an informed decision when assigning fault.

Unfortunately, police officers might not volunteer this report to you after completing it. In the event you are unable to get a copy from the investigating officer you can contact the appropriate department to get a copy. You have a couple of options to get a copy of your crash report including ordering it online, via mail, or in person.

Ensure You File a Report

This should go without saying, but many clients realize they need a police report after the fact but do not have one to request. This is why no matter how minor the accident is, it is almost always a good idea to request a police officer’s presence before leaving the scene. This creates an official report you can pull from later.

Remember that even minor property damage incidents can result in  chronic pain and other injuries that could surface later. You might need proof of that accident taking place to move forward with making an injury or property damage claim. Note that you can also self-report your accident in some cases by using the New Jersey SR-1 form.

How to get a copy of your NJ crash report online

If police officers or another government agency investigated the crash, you can search for the report online as soon as one business day following the accident. Depending on where the crash occurred you may have differing steps to complete.

Non-Toll Roads Accidents

If your accident happened on a non-toll road you can likely order a copy online. When searching for the crash report, you need at least one of the following:

  • Last name of a party who was involved
  • Driver’s license number
  • License plate number
  • Case number
  • Crash date

After locating the file, you can enter email information and receive instructions on how to get your own copy of the report. It might take up to three months to get access to this information, but some people receive access the same day or within a few days. You usually get the opportunity to download it and but you may only have a small window to do so. Since some individuals report a small window to get a copy of the report we recommend you try to get it a copy as soon as possible. You should be prepared to pay a small fee for a copy of the report. Typically you can expect to pay about $13 for a copy of the report when ordered online.  You can pay using most major credit cards.

Toll Roads Accidents

For toll-road crashes, you can use Buy Crash. The report will cost $5. If the toll-road crash led to fatalities or involved government vehicles, this option might not be available. In that case, reach out directly to the NJ Turnpike Authority.

Atlantic City Expressway Accidents

The Atlantic City Police Department handles crashes in these areas. You can access your information online from this department via Crash Docs. You will need some detailed information to complete this online request, such as:

  • crash date,
  • report number,
  • last names, and/or
  • email address. is powered by CarFax and you should be prepared to pay $5 for the report.

How to get a copy of your NJ crash report via mail

In the event you cannot access your report online or you need to request a certified copy you can ask to have the documents mailed to you or your attorney’s office.  In order for a report to entered into evidence during a trial or for another legal purposes it is likely you will need a certified version. To get a certified copy of your NJ accident report the request must be made in writing.  You will mail your request for a certified report to the addresses listed below.

Non-Toll Roads Accidents

There is a form you need to fill out, print and then mail to the following address:

Division of State Police
Criminal Justice Records Bureau
P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, NJ 08628-0068

The form does include instructions but consulting an attorney can ensures you fill everything out correctly and that you mail it off to the correct address. There is a $10 fee associated with this method and you need to include that fee with your request. You cannot send cash, but you can use certified checks, business checks or money orders. The check or money order should be made payable to Division of State Police.

Toll Roads Accidents

For a toll-road accident, use Buy Crash. This costs $5 and uses the same payment options as you would for non-toll road accidents. However, this time you make the check out to LexisNexis Risk Solutions and mail it to this address:

LexisNexis Coplogic Solutions, Inc.
15 Industrial Drive
Martinsville, IN 46151

Atlantic City Expressway Accidents

For crashes that take place in this jurisdiction, make the $5 check payable to South Jersey Transportation Authority. Then, mail the check and the completed form to this address:

Atlantic City Expressway Authority
P.O. Box 389
Hammonton, NJ 08037

How to get a copy of your NJ crash report in person

To get a copy of your report in person you will need to check with the local office that investigated the accident.  You will not be able to get a report by visiting any State Police Headquarters. You will typically have to wait a couple of weeks to get a copy from the local office.

Get Legal Assistance

Trying to figure out what organization to contact, where to make the check payable, where to mail them and what websites to use quickly becomes overwhelming. Costello Law Firm attorneys remain committed to simplifying the process for you so you can focus on recovering. Reach out to us for more information.

This article is for informational purposes only and should NOT be relied upon or interpreted as legal advice. Every case is different, and you ALWAYS consult a licensed worker’s compensation attorney in a timely manner for the best outcome of your claim.

Chris Costello, ESQ.

Chris Costello, ESQ.

Chris handles matters in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania and is an active member of the New Jersey Association for Justice as well as the Burlington County Bar Association. As a Burlington County personal injury lawyer, Mr. Costello has served as chairman of the Burlington County Bar Association Personal Injury Committee and lectured on topics related to auto accidents and insurance law.

Have more questions about the how to get a copy of your accident report?